Thursday, May 3, 2007

Control panel shaping up

Got quite a bit of work done in the past 2 days.
Routed out the square hole for the trackball. It fits good.
Got control panel prepared for joysticks and mouse click buttons.
I ran into a bit of bad luck when I started mounting the speakers, the screw driver slipped and punched a hole through the cone of one speaker. Now I got to find a replacement.
Got the control panel primed, when that dries I will be able to paint it.

Here is a picture of the counter sink holes for the joysticks.
You can also see counter sink holes for the joystick trim plate mounting bolts.
The bolts were not quite long enough to go through the wood, so I had to drill some holes that would allow the nuts to be installed. I drilled the holes big enough to put a wrench on the nuts.
I used a paddle bit to counter sink the bolt holes, and a router for the joystick body. My router bit is getting dull, you can see where it scorched the wood.

Here is the other side of the panel, notice the holes where the bolt heads will be recessed into the wood.

Next picture shows the holes routed out for the mouse buttons. I had to take out the wood almost all the way through, because the pushbuttons I have will are not designed to be mounted in very thick panels. I left a thin layer of wood, which will be under the plexi-glass.

Here is the control panel being test-fitted. The plexi-glass is in place, being held with two buttons. The trackball is fitting real good. If you look close, you can see the wood putty in the joystick bolt holes. After this picture, I removed the plastic and sanded the putty down smooth.


Here is a picture of the finished marquee. I am happy with the way it turned out.

No comments: