Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cutting out the control panel

Today we put another coat of paint on the cabinet.
We also got the control panel cut out.

First, I sandwiched a piece of plexiglass between the control panel and another piece of scrap.
Then using a jig saw, I careful cut the plexi glass out around the edge of the control panel.
I used a metal cutting blade in the jig saw (fine teeth). Had to take it slow, and occasionally stop and clean the teeth of the saw blade. The plastic gets hot and melts, filling the blade's teeth.
After the plastic was cut out, I placed it on top of the control panel and test fitted it into the cabinet. I had to sand a little off the edges of the plastic. It fit too tight. The plastic will expand when the ambient temperature goes up, so a tight fit will make the plastic buckle in the summer time, so it needs to fit a little loose.

I then laid the control panel, right side up, on a table made of scrap pieces of MDF.
I then laid out the cutting templates.
After I had the templates laid out like I wanted, I taped the corners with duct tape to hold the stencils in place.

I then drilled a 1/8" hole through the drilling points in the stencils and through the control panel.
This gave me the drill pattern I would need.

I got the template for the joysticks and buttons on the internet, but I cant recall where right now. I will find out later and post the link.

The trackball I will be using is a Happ 3" translucent. Translucent means the ball can be lit (pretty cool).
More on that later.

I also got the template for the trackball off the 'net.
I drilled four holes for the trackball plate's mounting bolts. then I had to cut out a square for the trackball itself. I drilled 2 holes in each corner of the square. This will allow the jigsaw blade to be inserted, to cut out the square.
I also drilled two more holes for small buttons that will be used for mouse right and left click, so the trackball can be used as a mouse, if the need arises.


Now that I had all the pilot holes drilled, it was time to cut them to the right sizes.
But first, I tore off all the templates, and the tape. I lightly ran a sander over the whole surface, to make sure it was nice and flat. I then removed as much dust as possible, using a damp rag.
Next, I flipped the control panel upside down. I then sandwiched the plexi glass I cut earlier, under the control panel.

I clamped the control panel and the plexi glass to the makeshift table.
I secured them as best as possible. Its very important that the control panel, the plexi glass, or the table not move.

Using a straight edge, I marked the square to be cut out for the trackball.
I just connected the holes I had already drilled, to form a square.

I drilled a couple holes with the 1/8" bit, through the control panel and the plexi glass, and installed screws into the table. This will help hold everything together. The screws will have to be removed later, to allow the same hole to be cut bigger.

All the 1/8" holes I drilled earlier will go through the plexi glass except 8.
Each joystick has 4 mounting holes. These holes will not go through the plexi glass.
There will be 1 hole per joystick that will go through the plexi glass, and that is in the center, for the handle.

Using a 1-1/8" paddle bit, I drilled all the holes for the buttons, except the two with screws in them.

I had to take it slow when I got to the plexi glass, you dont want to crack the glass.
I used a shop vac to remove debris and dust. I stopped drilling as soon as the bit went through the plexi glass. The wood below the plexi glass does get marked, so thats why you want to use scrap.

Next I had to cut out for the trackball. this is not easy and very time consuming.
I first drilled the four mounting holes through the plexi glass. I used a bigger bit, I think it was a
3/16" twist bit. Again, take it slow when reaching the plastic (plexi glass).
I then re-drilled the corners for the square to the bigger bit.
I had to wobble the bit back and forth to get a slot wide enough for the jig saw blade to fit.
Then, using the jigsaw, I cut out the square as best I could.
The jigsaw is slow go. The blade isn't long enough to cut all the way through the bottom scrap, so you have to take it very slow, or the jigsaw will try to jump up on you.

After that, I removed the two screws and drilled those holes with the 1-1/8" paddle bit.
I drilled the mouse click buttons with a 1/2" paddle bit.
Here is a picture with the first 1-1/8" hole cut.
Notice the mounting holes for the joysticks are plainly marked? This is to remind me that these holes are not to be touched during this stage.


After all was done, I separated the control panel from the table, removed the plexi glass and checked for cracks. All looked good! I washed the dust off under a hydrant.
At this point, the protective plastic is still on the plexi glass. I will leave it on until I am ready to mount it. This protects the plexi glass from scratches.

I test fitted the trackball into the hole I cut, and the hole is too small. The trackball will not fully go into the hole. So I will have to clamp the control panel and the plexi glass back to the scrap table and take some more off the sides of the square hole. Shouldn't be too big a deal.

Below is a diagram I drew to better show what I plan to do with the joystick mounting bolts.
This is a side-view of the joystick mounted to the control panel.
I will have to take out about a 1/4" of wood for the joystick body to counter sink into the wood. This is to allow for the thickness of the plexi-glass, plus a little. This will be done with a router.

Notice how the mounting bolt heads will be below the plexi glass.
I will drill counter sunk holes for the bolt heads. I will then drill counter sunk holes on the other side for the nuts to hold the bolts in place. I will then fill the hole above the bolt heads with wood putty. After the wood putty dries, I will sand it down, prime the control panel and paint it.
The plexi glass will be put in place, then all the buttons will be installed. The buttons will hold the plexi glass to the control panel.
The 4 mounting bolts per joystick will be hidden from the top of the control panel.
Four nuts will hold the joystick securely in place.

Maybe I will get some real pictures of this process later.



---------------------------

No comments: