Thursday, June 7, 2007

Almost finished!

I have everything installed, and have touched up some scratches in the paint job.
Everything is looking good, except for one small problem.
I am using a 12 VDC 1 amp power supply for the marquee, trackball light, and coin door lights.
The power supply (a plug in type commonly called a "wall wart"), is getting very hot.
A temp probe I have on my multimeter measures it at 110 degrees F.
I'm afraid it wont be long until the wall wart burns out, plus it is like a little heater, adding heat to the inside of the cabinet.
I cut one of the wires on the wall wart and put my amp meter in line with it.
The total current draw is .974 amp (974 milliamp). This is too close to the 1 amp rating of the power supply. I removed the coin door lamps and the current dropped to around .450 amp.
The wall wart cooled down quickly.
So, I have decided to replace the incandescent coin door lamps with LEDs.
The LEDs will draw about .020 amp each, so this should be OK. Plus they will outlast the incandescent lamps by several years.
But I am worried about how they will look.
I will post more on this later, plus some pictures of the finished cabinet.
--------------------

No comments: